Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Aboslute worst planeswalkers in commander. A community ranking

Hey guys, we're back with ranking more planeswalkers but today I'm taking it easy and letting you guys take the wheel. We had over 700 votes ranking every single planeswalker and that includes 340 for the worst of the worst.  Today we're looking at the bottom of the barrel, the cards people don't want to trade for, and the most depressing versions our characters yet. Today's list is looking very....red, so let's get started with number ten.




10: AJANI GOLDMANE  (89 votes 26.2% of votes)  (Scored 11th worst for me)

I remember when people were giving me flack for putting this guy in my bottom ten.

You hypocrite fu---.

Sorry, anyway this Ajani is the worst of the worst according to you guys. I guess four mana life gain and situational pumps aren't quite good enough.
Who would have thought...other than me. I told you guys!

Not much to say about him that hasn't already been said. Ajani has gotten better with each iteration and as far as I can tell they're barely making the cut in decks. And when your better versions are barely getting played you know you messed up.








9: KYTHEON, HERO OF AKROS (91 votes 26.8% of votes)    (Scored 17th worst for me)

Two white walkers in the row. I wonder what that says about the rest of the list....
Suprise, Beefslab made the list and I thought that Gideon Jura or Champion of Justice would be on here but no. Just Baby Gideon, kinda surprising honestly considering for one mana he isn't terrible but I guess when you're pretty much seeing 0 play even in casual decks he deserves this slot.

Jokes on you though, he's seeing play in Hyper Captain Sisay combo decks.







8: CHANDRA, FIRE OF KALADESH (102 votes. 30% of votes) (Scored 13th worst for me)

 Here's Chandra in all her terrible do nothing effects in glory. When you have a creature that you don't want to flip because the walker side is so bad you know you have issues. The same issue that Kytheon has is even worse in Chandra though. You have a walker that barely damages opponents and then dies right after because she's terrible and if you're playing her you likely will lose.







7: JACE, THE LIVING GUILDPACT (117 votes. 34.4% of votes) (Scored 4th worst for me)


The first and only blue card on the list. I guess when you want to rank the worst of the worst blue will often not make the list. Clearly, this is the worst Jace, even being four mana you have the only Jace that can't draw cards and all he does is bounce things. Then dies, useless....

Do yourself a favor and don't play this guy and introduce yourself to capsize or even an extra land would be better in this slot. Island > Living Guildpact.

No surprise that you guys rated him so low and since his printing each Jace does so much more.








6: SARKHAN THE MAD (124 votes. 36.5% of the votes) (Scored 22nd worst for me)

This is probably the only walker on the list I can kinda defend but only up to a point. Like all the other cards here there are always better options and they're always much better. Sarkhan gives you a Dark Confidant effect but at 5 mana. Before even casting him you could land Necropotence, Phyrexian Arena, Dark Tutelage, or whatever and still have turns to abuse it, and better yet those don't kill themselves. You guys made it clear that there really isn't much reason to play this guy and I agree.















5: CHANDRA, PYROGENIUS (124 votes. 36.5% of the votes) (Scored 5th worst for me too)

I don't know how you guys did it but we have a tie. I placed Chandra lower than Sarkhan because in my own ranking I put Chandra in the bottom of the barrel while Sarkhan was slightly higher.
Oddly enough the dual decks Nissa didn't get as many votes as I expected. I figured they were too new and forgettable that people may not vote for them as much. And then I saw Chandra Pyrogenius.

Like I said in my article when I came up to her there really isn't reason to play her in your deck. At six mana you have so many better options than 2 damage to each opponent or mildly hurting a creature.
Chandra, Torch of Defiance was literally printed at the same time and has both these abilities but does it better. AND has more abilities. AND is four mana. This gets a huge pass.






4: NISSA REVANE (124 votes. 36.5% of the votes) (Scored 2nd worst for me)

Yup, a three-way tie in the top ten. I put Nissa down as my second worst walker ever made and you guys were not too far off. I think her saving grace from the top was not many people remember her and she never says play (For obvious reasons) so I think that people just forgot about her. I personally think she deserves to be a little higher on the list for the worst of the worst because she's literally a four mana tutor for a meh and gains meh life.
Pass in every regard.












3: CHANDRA ABLAZE (143 Votes. 42.1% of votes) (Scored 12th worst for me)

Poor Chandra. Here she is again in a card that people often regard as the worst walker in command. Another six mana card but at least she can wheel. It's not good by any stretch of the imagination. There really isn't much reason to play her in anything but she wheels. That's at least something. So I can defend her to be slightly higher on the list and I think her reputation has put her in a worse spot than she deserves but seeing her in the top ten worst planeswalkers isn't surprising at all.










2: CHANDRA NALAAR (177 Votes. 52.1% of votes) (Scored 3rd worst for me)

An homage to Chandra. When the slightly better of version of your card appears at number five of the worst walkers ever you know you messed up. There really isn't anything else to say about her that hasn't been said already. She won over HALF the votes for worst walker for a reason.
Think about that for a second. You guys were more likely to vote for Chandra Nalaar than to not. That's just borderline outstanding.
I didn't expect anyone to get that...except....














1. Tibbers.... (242 votes. 71.2% of votes holy shit!) (The worst of the worst)

Oh Tibbers....how could it be anyone else but you? I knew going in that he would be number one but this massive margin surprised me. If we assumed that about 10 percent of the votes are throw aways (Trolls will be everywhere) that means that Tibalt comes to nearly EIGHTY percent of the votes.
He has a reputation, tons of people know that he's crap but I still did not expect any card to hit that high of percentage for worst of the worst. With differing opinions everywhere and people having uses for even the worst walkers somewhere this just goes to show that Tibalt is a scrub.












Attached is the results for the other walkers in the poll. Everything that scored over 10 percent or 34 votes is here. Anything not noted has been deemed pretty good to insane by you guys.

Fun Fact: Chandra, the Firebrand actually tied for 10th worst with Ajani Goldmane. I needed a spot for number ten so I gave it to Ajani since if I voted she would not have been in my poll.

Speaking of Chandra, every single iteration of Chandra got over 10 percent of votes. Except, Torch of Defiance. You finally did it Chandra.

Garruk and Elspeth didn't have a single version of them on the worst list. Not a single version of either got over ten percent of the votes. Even Elspeth Tirel, which isn't a top ten worst card by any means but far from good.

Sorin, who I kept calling bad over and over didn't make the worst list at all either.


Back to Chandra again it seems like there is an unnatural bias to here being bad. While Firebrand and PyroMaster aren't top tier cards by any stretch they're not so bad to get 25% of bad votes. I think that maybe people thought Pyromaster and Pyrogenius were swapped but that's just a theory.









Well, there you have, the scrublords planeswalkers in commander. Do you agree? Of course, you do, this is your list. Next time we tackle the best of the best accoring to you guys. Hope you're excited because the results are awesome.

Til next time

Doom Blade, Signing out.




If you want to support the blog please visit my Patreon for more. Every little bit helps a ton and allows me to make more content for you guys in the future https://www.patreon.com/diestodoomblade

1 comment:

  1. There was a time, long ago, when Ajani Goldmane did see play in Standard white weenie lists because of his second ability, which is really good in 60-card. In commander...yeah, he's crap.

    ReplyDelete