Friday, January 27, 2017

The top ten planeswalkers in commander as voted by you

We're back with our final installment for the planeswalker ranking list. I've listed all 82 walkers in order from worst to best and then asked you guys to do the same. I'm presenting the top ten walkers in commander that you guys voted on. We got 382 responses for this one and even though I'm bummed that this ranking system is at it's end, I'm glad it's something I could share with you all.
Without further ado here's number ten.


10: GARRUK WILDSPEAKER  149 votes (39%)

That's right the lowest of the top ten nearly got forty percent of the votes. I expected more variation in the top ten it seems like a ton of people agree. Number eleven for example only got 105 votes so the top ten is pretty clear here.
Garruk here was the only green planeswalker in the top ten but it's reasonable since he's clearly the best. Lots of people swear by him in plenty of ramp, stax, or combo decks so it makes perfect sense why he's in your top ten.  I ranked him a little higher on my own list putting him at sixth best since he's pretty much adding 4+ mana a turn with the right lands out but this seems like a decent spot as well.











9: ELSPETH, SUN'S CHAMPION    162 votes  (42.4%)

After the only green walker, we reach our only white walker on the list. I wonder what this says about what color people think is the best in commander...

I agree very heavily with Elspeth's placement here as I put her at number eight myself. While she is a bit of mana she really does it all. You can protect yourself with an army every turn or wipe the threats off the board. That ultimate will likely win you the game and it's easy to get to. While she does nothing against combo decks pretty much none of the walkers will help with that and against most fair strategies Elspeth is very helpful.










8: JACE, VRYN'S PRODIGY    171 votes  (44.8%)





Jace barely edged out Elspeth but was clearly your choice for the best flip walker in commander. While I agree that Jace is absolutely amazing I think he deserves a higher spot since he's great in most combo and control decks and is a solid general himself. I placed him at number three on my list for all those things and how he can easily come down turn one and bring the pain. Don't underestimate how strong Jace is. He realistically could so more play than  Mind Sculptor in commander, and I wouldn't doubt for a second that he is better.


7: KARN LIBERATED  180 Votes (47.1%)

After people kept telling me that Karn deserved to be in the top ten it wasn't surprising to see him on this list. I placed him just outside at number eleven and plenty of people called me nuts. I personally don't think Karn should have as many slots as he does but the fact that he's an answer that any color could run helps him out tremendously. There are plenty of decks that have problems with certain cards and all those cards are liberated by Karn. The seven mana is quite the investment to tell one card to get out but I can see it having a home in some decks that need that answer and want those cards gone right away.
Plus it's fantastic in 1 v 1 and huge ramp decks.









6: DARETTI, SCRAP SAVANT  197 votes (51.6%)

Over half of the people who voted think Daretti should make the top ten. Totally makes sense, like Jace he can be your general, can come out turn one with the right hand and impacts the game heavy if unanswered. I placed Daretti at twelfth on my own list since he's fairly easy to hose and as a commander, you don't quite get the colors to answer those problems.

However with that said I do think Daretti is quite powerful and easily the best mono red planeswalker they have printed. The power he brings to the table and the fact that if unanswered he can end the game makes him a force to be reckoned.










5: TEFERI, TEMPORAL ARCHMAGE  212 Votes (55.5%)

But Daretti isn't the best planeswalker commander because Teferi clearly is. Teferi placed fourth on my own list and I was debating putting him higher. He is the only card on the entire list that leads a tier one deck and is an absolute terror on the board. Teferi coming out means your opponent can untap up to twelve mana and do insane plays. Not to mention he makes orb effects laughable and makes the Stasis and Chain Veil decks so much better. I'm glad you all seemed to agree that Teferi is insane because this monster clearly is.












4: TEZZERET, THE SEEKER 222 VOTES (58.1%)

I really expected Tezzeret to be much higher on this list. He was second on my own list and dominates as one of the only walkers consistently played in competitive tables. The ability to search up any artifact answer or threat you need with him is great but the untap ability to gain loyalty and ultimate that kills in the right deck really make me adore Tezzeret. Clearly, you guys agree since you voted him so high and I may be biased towards him but there still was some shock to seeing him with "only" 222 votes. Oh well, better luck next time Tezz.












3: JACE, THE MIND SCULPTOR 228 votes (59.7%)

Beating Tezzeret by only 6 votes we have the mind sculptor himself. For a very long time, Jace was considered the strongest walker by far. In competitive tables he often is a four mana brainstorm but if left unanswered can end the games. He still is a powerhouse in the format but often doesn't get to live long enough due to his reputation. I guess the reputation got him real far here as he still placed third for you guys in the ranking. It's not surprising to see him this high and even if it's just due to reputation, I still placed Jace as fifth on my own list. I can see him being a little lower if I revisit but there's no doubt that this mind sculptor is very powerful.










2: DADDY DACK FAYDEN  241 votes (63.1%)

The great thief in the multiverse strikes again hitting second best for you guys. While I placed him first on my own list I can see him making second for a bunch of people. The restriction in color makes him slightly harder to play (the next gold walker was 12th place) but still, Dack is clearly insane and you guys all know it. I won't go into why he's super good again since I splurged on him so much in my own ranking but I wasn't surprised to see him on this list at all.













1: UGIN, THE SPIRIT DRAGON 266 votes (69.6%)

Ugin hitting first, however, was a bit of a surprise. When I did my own ranking I placed Ugin at ninth since his mana cost may as well be infinite but there is no doubt that he's powerful. Landing Ugin and basically resetting everyone's board except your own will often win you games by itself and in the decks where he is feasible to get on the board he needs to be answered right away or you're going to have a bad time. It seems that board wipes on walkers were taken into high regard with this list with Ugin topping it easily. Also, the ability to be in any deck helps out a lot. I think that Ugin placed this high since he's likely played with more than any walker on this list since out of him and Karn he's the cheapest (and stronger) and he's one of the more recent walkers to come out.  It makes sense that Ugin tops the list in that way and I can absolutely see him winning again in the future if I revisit this series.








Attached are the results for the other walkers in the poll. Everything that scored over 10 percent or 38 votes is here. Anything not noted has been deemed pretty shit by you guys.

 Not too many surprises here. I'm glad that Sorin Markov didn't make the list but was expecting him to be in the top ten. Maybe I had some influence?

Nicol Bolas is the only walker on the top list that I think is actually fairly bad but like Ugin he does massive things so I guess it makes sense.

There were a lot fewer cards that made over ten percent according to you guys. It was pretty clear which ones you thought were superior, and like I said the top ten beat the eleventh spot by 12 percent.





Well, there you have, the lord planeswalkers in commander. Do you agree? Of course, you do, this is your list. And that finally finishes our list for ranking the planeswalkers in the commander. It's been quite a trip and I'd love to hear what you guys want to see in the future.


If you guys are interested in a Q&A I've linked to my ASK.FM account here:
http://ask.fm/Dies_to_doom_blade

Go ahead and ask a degenerate commander player whatever you feel like. I'll answer all the questions in a future article if it gets enough questions.

Until next time

DoomBlade, signing out.


If you want to support the blog please visit my Patreon for more. Every little bit helps a ton and allows me to make more content for you guys in the future https://www.patreon.com/diestodoomblade

2 comments:

  1. I think the one the major considerations here as to why Karn and Ugin did better than they did on your lists is that there are a LOT of Commander players out there who play mostly multiplayer and team games. Cards with a higher CMC have a better chance of coming out in those formats. My guess is that you mostly looked at these guys through the lens of 1v1 commander, where, still powerful, they might be a tad too slow against competitive decks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't play 1 v 1 that often but I looked at them from a competitive standpoint. While they seem fantastic for casual games they're fairly weak in competitive

      Delete